RZA’s Man With the Iron Fists is to be a “bloody R rated martial arts extravaganza” that he developed after studying Quentin Tarantino for a few years. The film mixes kung fu with a spaghetti western mindset and a hip hop influence. The screenplay was written by Eli Roth and RZA. “I’m going to tell you that we put a lot of time into the script, a lot of energy into it, a lot of people were supporting me on it, and if the energy comes out right, it should be a classic film to have in your library,” RZA stated before. The cast includes Russell Crowe, Cung Le, Lucy Liu, Jamie Chung, Rick Yune, David Bautista, with appearances from Grace Huang, Pam Grier, Gordon Liu and many more. Universal funded and is opening Fists in theaters sometime in 2012
Though most sneakerheads tend to shy away from hybrid designs, the Jordan Spizike has been able to escape that sort of scrutiny. Recently, Jordan Brand made the popular silhouette available on NIKEiD and the first samples have started to show up. Spotted over at Nike Harajuku, the samples show the model with various color and material choices, most notably, with different color elephant print along the toe and heel. For those looking to create their own style over the Jordan Spizike, feel free to head over to NIKEiD.
C3H5N3O9 is both the molecular formula for nitroglycerine and a horological experiment. Many of the most reactive (and most exciting) chemical reactions derive from combining seemingly innocuous ingredients. When Felix Baumgartner and Maximilian Büsser shared a pleasant lunch on a Geneva terrace in the summer of 2008, it started a horological chain reaction that four years later manifested as C3H5N3O9.
URWERK founders, Felix Baumgartner and Martin Frei had a concept featuring Wankel engine inspired indications that they had not yet developed, and they suggested that their constructor Cyrano Devanthey could develop and produce a movement based on that. MB&F partners Maximilian Büsser and Serge Kriknoff teamed up with independent watch designer Eric Giroud to design and produce the case. Experiment ZR012 by C3H5N3O9 features Wankel engine inspired hour and minute indications in an asymmetrical zirconium case with articulated and compound lugs.
At first glance the time appears to be indicated by centrally rotating triangular rotors; however, the triangles are actually Releaux polygons; they rotate eccentrically rather than centrally and track complex epitrochroid curves rather than circles. The system was inspired by the Wankel engine, which features orbital Releaux polygon rotors rather than the reciprocating pistons that power the majority of our car and machines today.
Meet the new Bentley Continental GT Speed Coupe – the fastest one ever. This model holds up to their premium engineering and craftsmanship standards and boasts a 6.0-liter, twin turbo W12 engine. Its impressive motor, tuned to 616 horsepower, pushes this ultra luxury vehicle from 0 to 62 in just 4.2 seconds. The official debut is next week at England’s Goodwood Festival of Speed 2012.
The Nike Air Force 1 Digi-Camo release date is nearly upon us, with the shoe set to hit select Nike Sportswear retailers later this week. The latest shoe in the AF1 30th Anniversary collection, this eye-catching pair features a pixilated digital camouflage upper that utilizes a three-dimensional texture with 3M materials. Grab your pair at the Nike Sportswear AF1 Digi-Camo launch party on June 24 from 1 PM to 6 PM at Nike Basketball’s Rivington Court (Rivington Street between Suffolk and Norfolk). The event will also feature special performances by Theophilus London & FLO of Been Trill.
In the past fifteen months, Kate Upton has melted YouTube, transformed her Twitter feed into a product-placement bonanza, sparked a series of censorship controversies, acted in a couple of movies, made her Saturday Night Live debut, and—this part’s almost quaint—landed her first Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover. We will allow that we’ve enjoyed the show. Now, with a little help from 19-year-old Kate herself (and with a goal of helping aspiring imitators everywhere), we’ve boiled her playbook down to these Seven Habits of Highly Effective Internet Bombshells.
1. Turn on camera. Any camera. Shake body. Repeat. It all started last April with “the Dougie,” a spontaneous bit of jiggling at a Clippers game that found its way onto YouTube and pretty much launched the Kate Upton Phenomenon. She practiced for weeks in the mirror before her big moment, right? “No! That was my first Dougie,” she insists. The “Cat Daddy,” a twenty-second gyration performed in just a bikini, followed this spring (and was then temporarily yanked from the site for a “community
2. Never bury the lead. Our interview gets going with a tame icebreaker of a question: What’s the most exciting thing you’ve done since becoming massively famous? Kate’s immediate response: “For the GQ photo shoot, we were on that ride where the seat spins while the actual ride is spinning, and I’m wearing a one-piece. And all of a sudden the whole entire top falls off! I’m holding myself, laughing, turning bright red, but a lot of people are watching, so they kicked us out of the Santa Monica Pier—it was so embarrassing.” Pause, then the kicker: “You wouldn’t think that would happen with a one-piece!”
3. Create faux controversies… Being a bombshell means constantly eyeing the line between good, innocent fun and too-hot-to-handle—and then occasionally crossing it. (Who, me?) A Carl’s Jr. ad in which Kate experiences carnal levels of pleasure while eating a sandwich caused an outcry; an early cut of a Zoo York commercial featuring her running in a sports bra was too much even for MTV. And her costume in the trailer for the Farrelly brothers’ The Three Stooges—a white coif, some rosary beads, and a wispy black “nun-kini”—was racy enough to provoke the ire of the Catholic League. “I can see why the Catholic Church would be upset with me,” she says. “But it was just for fun, and I try not to take it more seriously than that.”
4. …including making headlines about flirting with both Jets quarterbacks. Mark Sanchez: Spotted bearing gifts at Kate’s apartment. Tim Tebow: Caught chatting up Kate at an Oscar party. Kate’s sole comment on the looming quarterback controversy: “I’m going to be less emotionally involved this year.”
5. Use natural talents to dominate the marketing universe. Having 370,000 Twitter followers (safe to say: mostly men) makes Kate America’s Premier Spokesperson for Dude-Friendly Products. A quick stroll through her Twitter stream has her playing Ping-Pong with Jason Pierre-Paul (on behalf of AXE body spray), hanging with James Harden and Kevin Durant (to promote Skullcandy headphones), and joking around with Justin Verlander (for the gaming company 2K Sports). “I grew up in Florida riding horses, so for the majority of my life I was either in boots and jeans or a bathing suit,” she says. “I understand why my male followers like me.”
6. Emphasize your wholesome background… Savvy bombshells know how to combine sexiness and naïveté in a way that somehow makes ogling them seem like the most innocent thing in the world. To get it right, you need a certain backstory, and Kate couldn’t have a better one. Good girl? She grew up in a traditional, all-American family: Dad’s a high school athletic director; mom stayed home with the kids. And though Kate grew up in Florida, she was born in the deeply conservative southwest corner of Michigan, where her uncle, Fred Upton, has been a Republican congressman for twenty years. God-fearing? Kate has two tattoos: a horseshoe on her wrist and a small cross on the inside of her finger. “You have to think hard with a tattoo,” she says. “What will I love for the rest of my life?” Horses and Jesus seem like safe bets.
7. …while still taking photos that look like these. “It’s like any job,” she says. “You find your strengths and play them up.”
Django Unchained is written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, who last brought us Inglourious Basterds. In the film, the Django (Jamie Foxx) is a freed slave, who under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) becomes a bounty hunter himself, and together they track down his slave wife (Kerry Washington) and liberate her from the evil plantation owner (Leonardo DiCaprio). The cast includes Samuel Jackson, Dennis Christopher, Walton Goggins, M.C. Gainey, Don Johnson, Anthony LaPaglia, RZA, James Russo, James Remar, Todd Allen and Franco Nero. Shooting is just wrapping and The Weinstein Company currently has the film scheduled for release starting December 25th, Christmas Day, the end of this year.